The Traveller's Travelogue

This is the world as I see it.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Lend me Your Ears

A long time ago, well not too long but long enough in the context of my life my friend had given me some very good advice regarding groups and decision making. We all know of the one individual who disrupts every groups plans by being the only one to not agree with the majority. Not only would this individual disrupt everything but they also would have no idea as to an alternative. I used to be one of those people who would not want to do something but had no idea what else to do so my friend lay it down very clearly for me when he said (and I am paraphrasing here) "If you don't agree with a common decision then you should be prepared to offer an alternative otherwise you should not disagree." Very insightful and looking back now I must say I can not agree more with his advice. I always value the other side's opinions but for me to value them they must present me with two crucial pieces of information a) what their basic theme is b) and the reasons for them supporting this theme. But if someone will not offer either of those two pieces then I will be forced to render their voice inconsequential. So anyone who disagrees must be ready to offer a counter-argument or counter-proposition and why they are doing is if not then the basis of their dissension would be rendered very flimsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>