The Traveller's Travelogue

This is the world as I see it.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Politics

Politics maybe a very dirty game and many would attest to that, but if you do not indulge in politics how will you be able to affect change anywhere? Most people believe that politics is only played out at the state level but look around you and you will notice that politics is everywhere. You read of it in the dailies true, but you see it in the office, at school, on the bus (let’s not forget the segregation acts that were in place during the mid of the last century in the US, those only came about because the government allowed so), whilst driving all around you, you will notice that a lot has to do directly with politics. I was of the opinion at one stage to never indulge in politics, since I felt that politics is by nature a dirty game. I was very wrong because every action that involved me and others there would be some sort of planning going about and that is what politics is about; planning and executing a plan in order to obtain some power. As a university student I noticed it first, and very blatantly that too, during some of the meetings I attended and some of the ballots that were held. My feelings were of utter disgust and contempt to learn that there was more than just a mere student organization leadership position at stake. Those feelings made me detest the conniving nature of men and just drew me away from getting involved in any sort of organization for some time to come.

A few years later, whilst still in college, I thought it was time for me to try and make a difference. After all I had some experience as college student and naturally wanted my successors to benefit if there was something I could offer. At that point my opinion towards politics had also changed, I felt that by letting the “dirty” managers a free reign I was more or less letting them do their job and there was no one to question them and Edmund Burke quite succinctly said, “It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.” Since I was a novice in this area of responsibility I thought it would be best to indulge into something non-political in nature and an organization that tries to offer the best for its constituents, one that tries to cater to essential and important needs like the welfare of students or along those lines.

What I am trying to hint at is really that we all should try to take a more active role in politics and try to affect some change. Sitting on our behinds and acting like arm-chair theorists and providing solutions is not going to bring about some change. There is no change without some sort of effort. The reason for me relating my experiences here is to illustrate at how wrong my misconception was for not indulging into something like this earlier. I truly felt remorse for not having done so because I could have learnt so much and not only that I would have been able to bring about some change too. Another belief that I came to formulate was that if you are not going to do anything, or have done anything in the past, about a situation then you should not bother criticizing, since that really makes one question your motives if you are sincere enough or not in that particular cause. The right to criticize should be given to those who actually do something about or try to bring about some change. Those who want to just sit and be heard I think it would be best to take them to a TV studio and have the “audience”, “applaud” them whenever they make a point. So let’s get moving folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>